Have you ever noticed how cooked chicken breasts can sometimes be dry and boring?
This marinade recipe will change ALL of that. It uses buttermilk to help tenderize the chicken while still keeping it moist.
Buttermilk is a great marinade choice because it’s only slightly acidic, so it won’t toughen up the meat the same way stronger, more acidic marinades can. If you prefer to omit the dairy, you can use the same amount of non-dairy milk and then add 2 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar and let it sit for 10 minutes to create non-dairy buttermilk.
(serves 4 with leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day)
- 2 cups (buttermilk or non-dairy buttermilk)
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat
- Place chicken breast between two pieces of unbleached parchment paper and pound flat with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Set aside in a large stainless-steel bowl or glass dish.
- Add buttermilk rosemary, garlic, and sea salt to a glass measuring cup and stir to combine.
- Pour marinade over the chicken, ensuring both sides are covered; it is best to use your hands to do this. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the barbecue to about 400°F.
- Put a paper towel or old clean cloth in a bowl, use tongs to turn towel to coat with oil. Use the tongs to brush the grill with the oiled towel. This prevents the chicken from sticking to the grill.
- Take the chicken breasts out of the marinade and place them on the preheated grill; close the lid. Cook for about 5-7minutes.
- Open the lid and flip the chicken breasts, close the lid and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and no longer pink inside. Being mindful not to dry out the chicken.
- Remove chicken from the grill to a serving plate and squeeze with lemon juice and sea salt if desired.
- Serve and enjoy.
I paired this recipe with a Black Rice Arugula Salad and Balsamic Peppers with Spinach. So delicious.
Personal Access to my Blog Posts!
Sign up and be the first in line to receive my latest posts.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.