Three Tips for Better SleepJan 27, 2021
Three Tips for Better Sleep
What many of us now think of as a good night's sleep is inadequate. Although the amount of sleep needed varies from person to person, for most, the optimal amount of sleep is 8 hours. This period of rest should be as uninterrupted as possible. Nourishing your body with plenty of healing sleep and rest is essential and is the foundation for everything else we do to improve our health. Rest and sleep provide the body with the opportunity to cleanse, repair, and rejuvenate.
Impacts of Improper Sleep
Improper sleep can affect metabolic control, insulin sensitivity, food cravings, muscle recovery, body composition and hormone profile and performance. Improper sleep has also been shown to increase the risk of several chronic diseases.
There are many ways of improving your sleep quality; I have listed a few below.
Tip #1 – Kill the Blue Light
- While exposure to light is beneficial during daytime hours, it has the opposite effect during evening hours.
- It's all about circadian rhythm. Your body sees the light and recognizes that it's daytime; when it gets dark, the body relaxes and produces melatonin, and you drift off to sleep.
- Electronic devices tell your circadian rhythm it's daytime, and it negatively influences your sleep pattern. Turn off all technology a couple of hours before bed.
- Invest in blue light blocking glasses or use an app that blocks blue light.
Tip#2 – Prepare the Bedroom
- The key to a sound slumber is a dark, cool, and quiet room.
- Get blackout drapes.
- Get an eye mask.
- Block out external noise with a white noise machine
- Ensure an ideal bedroom temperature, somewhere between 16 - 21 Celsius or 60 -75 Fahrenheit.
- Keep your bedroom well ventilated.
- Lockout pets that wake you often.
- Dedicate the bedroom to sleep, not work or other activities.
Tip#3 – Essential Oils
- Adding a few drops of calming essential oils like lavender vetiver, frankincense, sandalwood, and roman chamomile in a diffuser can do wonders to help you drift off to sleep
- Try adding these same oils to a hot bath before bed or
- Try sprinkling them on your pillow
There’s absolutely no question that getting enough quality sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your overall health! It does take some practice, but a better night’s sleep can be achieved!
You're a VIP!
Be the first in line to receive my latest posts.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.